Last Updated on
When you bring a cat into your home, it can be such a great addition to your family. Whether you have a home filled with children or even are just living on your own, a cat can bring so much love and joy into your life.
Of course, you always want the best of everything for your cat! The best toys, cat trees, the right food, and the best litter.
Yet, there is nothing more important than your cat’s health. And if something dire were to happen to your cat, whether it be an illness or an injury, you want to know that you have the financial ability to afford the best medical care for your cat.
And, this is precisely when pet insurance can be a financial and emotional relief.
How Does Pet Insurance for Cats Work?
Pet insurance for cats is very similar to dog insurance or any other form of pet insurance.
If your kitty suddenly becomes hurt or sick and needs immediate medical care, pet insurance can help cover the costs of the bill.
Cat insurance will usually cover anywhere from 70% to 90% of the bill depending on the pet insurance plan.
Once you have met the annual deductible (which you choose), a cat insurance policy will cover anywhere for 70% to 90% of the total vet bills.
However, pet insurance does not cover routine veterinary visits.
Is Pet Insurance Worth It For Cats?
If you have a cat breed that is predisposed to certain breed conditions, pet insurance can be a life saver!
If your cat develops a serious condition, like diabetes or cancer, pet insurance can not only save you on the treatment but all the testing, lab work, and diagnostics that are necessary. And, not just the one time, but for the duration of your cat’s life.
Even indoor cats can have a paw injury that costs anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 to fix and that is a lot to tackle on your own.
But, if you have pet insurance, you know that you can always have the ability to pay the big medical bills.
Further, since cats live a very long time and usually from 15 to 17 years, it is inevitable that your cat will develop some sort of illness such as kidney disease which can be expensive to treat.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
When you sign up for pet insurance, you will have many things to consider.
First, you will choose your annual deductible. This deductible is paid one time per year at the start of your policy year. You pay this on your first medical bill.
You then choose your monthly premium. Most cat insurance policies have premiums that range anywhere from $10 a month to up to $50 a month.
While you have a choice of premiums, it can vary depending on your cat’s age, where you live and the breed of your cat.
Then you will want to choose your reimbursement rate. Most pet insurance companies let you choose between anywhere from 70% to 90%. The higher reimbursement you choose, the more you will get reimbursed on each bill.
When Is The Best Time To Purchase Insurance For My Cat?
The best time to purchase a pet insurance policy for your cat is when they are young. Not only are they the healthiest, but the prices are less expensive.
And, if your cat has any illness or condition that your cat will not be covered for that specific condition since it is now pre-existing.
Your vet can also be a great resource to determine what type of conditions or illness might occur with your cat.
How ConsumersAdvocate.org Researched The Best Pet Insurance
- Now that you know why you should ensure your cat, we can now explain how ConsumersAdvocate.org came up with the list of the best pet insurance.
- ConsumersAdvocate.org, a website that dedicates itself to producing insightful guides for the consumer, spent more than 200 hours and vetted the 15 most renowned companies to compile the results.
- They researched pet insurance companies to determine which have the best coverage, pricing, customer reviews, and claim re-payment.
- The overall coverage can be extremely important when purchasing pet insurance. After all, you want to make sure that the coverage offered is comprehensive enough to cover whatever condition or illness might occur to your cat.
- They also came up with the best pricing based on what the company offers. For example, you can buy an accident plan that is very inexpensive for your cat but that policy will only cover accidents.
- Or you can pay a little more each more to get a very comprehensive plan that includes all accidents, illnesses that can even extend for the lifetime of your cat.
- Customer reviews are really important because you want a good solid company that delivers good results. And, who is better to determine the results than the actual customers.
- For example, does the company pay back their policyholders in a timely manner? Does the pet insurance company have a good, easy way to pay the bills online if that is your preference? Can you go to the vet of your choice?
There are many variables involved in finding the best pet insurance for your cat. But, not to worry! They did the work for you by not only finding the best pet insurance companies but also what to look for in each policy.
You love your cat and want the best pet insurance for your kitty and their top 10 pet insurance companies of 2019 will help you accomplish just that!